02 Mar Website workshops at LARAC on March 9 and 19
I’m cross-posting here from my art blog: I’m teaching two workshops on websites for artists at LARAC in the coming weeks, and have just finished the worksheet for the first one, so it seemed like a good time to let you know about them. Here’s a sample of the worksheet – and details are below!
You’ve heard this before: KISS – Keep It Simple, Stupid! People are busy and don’t have time to go on a wild goose chase for whatever they’re looking for. Make it nice and easy for people to find their way around and keep your sections to a minimum for a nice clean design. Also, rein in your content – with too much text, people get bored after the first paragraph. Sprinkle some photos on each page. I suggest these sections for any basic artist’s website:
1. ABOUT or BIO or INFO
Due to the social media revolution, more and more web visitors and potential customers want to know who you are. Think about it: Aren’t you more likely to do business with somebody you like; who you relate to? Let people know how long you’ve been making art, where you went to school or trained (if it’s relevant), where you’re from, where you live now (city or town or “Upstate” or “Adirondacks” is fine), and what you’re into – you can leave out your kink for high-heeled boots, but open up about your love of hiking or your collection of antique teapots. Show your sense of humor here if you like!
Call (518) 798-1144 to sign up. If you’re unable to make it, call me: (518) 353-2121 – and we’ll do a one-on-one.
March 9: Beginner’s Website Workshop
- Wednesday, March 9, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at LARAC’s Lapham Gallery, Glens Falls, New York
- $10 ($5 for LARAC members)
- Advance registration required: (518) 798-1144. If you can’t make it, call Advokate for a one-on-one class!
- Participants will see examples and work with worksheets to draft content for a website: Bio, Contact, Gallery, etc.
March 19: Intermediate Website Workshop
- Saturday, March 19, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. (with half-hour lunch break) at LARAC’s Lapham Gallery, Glens Falls, New York
- $35 ($25 for LARAC members)
- Advance registration required as space is limited: (518) 798-1144
- Bring the website content you generated in the previous workshop and at home, and a laptop to set up a free website on WordPress (yourname.wordpress.com) or bring your credit card to purchase one year of hosting and a domain name (www.yourname.com) for an additional $75 or so. We can do this one-on-one for a fee if you can’t make it or require some additional assistance – just call Advokate!